From Wikimedia District of Columbia
Revision as of 19:24, 10 September 2011
| The best way to stay informed about ongoing projects and upcoming events is to join our public mailing lists:
- wikimedia-dc is used for announcements and general discussion; subscribe if you want to know about our public events and outreach work.
- wikidc-internal is used for organizational and business discussions. If you're interested in the fine details of our day-to-day work, this is the list for you!
You don't need to be a member to subscribe to the lists; everyone is welcome.
Another way to keep abreast of important news is through our social media outlets. You can follow us on Twitter as @wikidc.
Participate in events
| The Wiki Society of Washington, DC hosts many public events:
- Local meetups are informal events where individuals interested in Wikipedia, Wikimedia, free culture, and the advancement of general knowledge can meet in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. Meetups are usually held on weekend evenings, and are the perfect opportunity for anyone interested in our work to stop by and chat.
- Formal meetings of the Board of Directors and the general membership take place several times throughout the year. Most meetings are open to the general public; anyone interested in the internal workings of the Society is welcome to attend.
- Our work with local individuals and institutions is conducted through various outreach events, ranging from museum tours to Wikipedia training sessions. Whatever your interests, there is certain to be an event that will pique them.
- The Society occasionally hosts major conferences in the DC area. While these events are rare, they are also the biggest and most exciting gatherings of free culture and knowledge advocates in the region.
To find out more about upcoming events, please visit our home page, or sign up to receive event announcements.
Become a member
| One of the easiest way to show your support for our mission and help advance the cause of free knowledge is to become a member of the Wiki Society of Washington, DC. Membership is open to everyone; there are no prerequisites or qualifications, and you don't need to participate in Wikimedia projects.
Membership dues are $10 per year. Your dues will directly support our educational and outreach programs.
There are three convenient ways to become a member:
- In person
- At any of our meetings or meetups, ask for a registration form. Complete it and attach $10, cash or check made out to the Wiki Society of Washington, DC Inc. If there are no registration forms, simply write down your full name, mailing address, and email address on a sheet of paper.
- By mail
- Cash or check may be mailed to:
- Wiki Society of Washington, DC Inc.
- PO Box 9822
- Washington, DC 20016
- Be sure to include your full name, mailing address, and email address.
Spread the word
- Website links
- Social media
- Twitter: @wikidc