Activity Report for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2014–15
Wikimedia DC held four editing events this quarter:
- The Women in Technology Edit-a-Thon with Tech LadyMafia on April 17;
- An International Labour Day Edit-a-Thon with the University of Maryland on May 1;
- Wiki Loves Pride at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History on June 6; and
- World Oceans Day at the Waitt Institute on June 8.
At the Women in Technology Edit-a-Thon, ten people made 53 edits to 18 articles. The event focused on articles about women in STEM, including Ashanti Johnson, Ruth Teitelbaum, Anita Mehta, and Jennifer Pahlka. In total, 24,291 bytes of content were added or removed.
The International Labour Day Edit-a-Thon, held with the University of Maryland, focused on topics of labor history throughout the world. Fourteen participants made seven edits to five articles, including George Meany and Labor's Heritage. A total of 2,762 bytes of content were added or removed.
Wiki Loves Pride, an international campaign to improve coverage of LGBT History on Wikimedia projects, featured a tour of the National Museum of American History, including a tour of the museum's LGBT archives. During the edit-a-thon, nine participants made 52 edits to 21 articles, including National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals, National Black Feminist Organization, and List of LGBT periodicals. One image was uploaded, and 53,448 bytes of content were added or removed.
World Ocean's Day, held with the Waitt Institute, focused on ecology and oceanography. Thirteen participants made 54 edits to 25 articles, including Illegal, Sustainable seafood, and Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
In total for the quarter:
- 38 people participating in editing events, including six people participating in two or more this quarter.
- Of the 38 participants, 18 were newcomers at Wikimedia DC events, of which one went to one or more editing events.
- 166 edits were made to 69 articles.
- Two files were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- 99,633 bytes were added or removed on Wikipedia.
Wikimedia DC held a Wikipedia Space Hack-a-Thon at the National Archives Innovation Hub on April 14. The goal of the event was to plan the Wikipedia Space, a project by American University professor Andrew Lih to design a traveling exhibit to describe Wikipedia.
Wikimedia DC held its monthly WikiSalons on April 8, May 13, and June 10. The monthly dinner meetups were held on April 25 and May 30.
During the April 25 meeting of the Board of Directors, the Board lowered the annual membership dues to $5 per year and established a paid staff position of Organizational Development Coordinator to assist in Wikimedia DC's cultural partnerships program.
The Board additionally held a two-day strategy planning session on June 20–21. During those two days, the Board reviewed its strategic priorities, devised long term goals for the organization, and developed program ideas in furtherance of those goals. This work will inform Wikimedia DC's strategic plan. The board additionally appointed Trisha Melikian as the treasurer and made additional committee appointments.