ARTICLE I - PURPOSE
1. Purpose. The purpose of this Communications Policy ("Policy") is to guide Wikimedia District of Columbia ("Wikimedia DC") Directors, Officers, employees, and volunteers in their conduct when communicating with external organizations and members of the press on behalf of Wikimedia DC.
2. Intent. Wikimedia DC encourages transparency and frankness among its Directors, Officers, employees, and volunteers, but recognizes the necessity of presenting a unified front when it comes to organizational decisions and policy.
ARTICLE II - PRESS CONTACT
1. Prior Notification. Any Director, Officer or employee of Wikimedia DC who intends to speak to the press regarding Wikimedia DC shall notify the Chair of the Communications Committee prior to doing so. The mechanism for such notification shall be determined by the Chair of the Communications Committee.
2. Routine Interactions. Prior notification shall not be required for routine interaction with the press in the course of planning or participating in Wikimedia DC programs, such as events with institutional partners. Any Director, Officer, or employee of Wikimedia DC who interacts with the press when planning or participating in a Wikimedia DC program shall inform the Chair of the Communications Committee no later than 24 hours following such contact.
3. Official Positions. No Director, Officer or employee of Wikimedia DC shall issue a statement to the press purporting to represent the official position of Wikimedia DC without prior approval from the President or the Board of Directors. Directors, Officers and employees of Wikimedia DC who interact with the press are encouraged to clarify, when appropriate, that their statements and opinions do not necessarily represent the official positions of Wikimedia DC.
4. Volunteers. Any Wikimedia DC volunteer who interacts with the press in the course of planning or participating in a Wikimedia DC program is encouraged to inform the Chair of the Communications Committee.