What we do
Wikimedia DC reaches out to people and organizations in the greater Washington, D.C. area. We hold events, including training sessions and edit-a-thons, where experienced Wikipedians and newcomers alike have the opportunity to network and learn from each other's experiences. We also work with institutions share their knowledge with the rest of the world through Wikipedia, the world's most widely visited not-for-profit website. We are an all-volunteer organization.
Our work is categorized into five different areas:
- Academic and educational outreach: Wikimedia DC works with universities and other educational institutions to build awareness of our mission and promote academic contributions to free knowledge projects.
- Cultural outreach: Wikimedia DC collaborates with cultural institutions, including galleries, libraries, archives, and museums, to promote free knowledge and support digitization and open access projects.
- Government outreach and engagement: Wikimedia DC works with federal, state, and local government agencies to encourage adoption of free knowledge and free data practices. We also work with private organizations who share our goal of access to government data.
- International and diplomatic outreach: The Wikimedia movement spans across national borders, and Wikimedia DC works with embassies and international organizations in Washington to promote our mission around the world.
- Public outreach and education: Wikimedia DC holds a variety of public events, including training sessions and editing workshops, to increase awareness of our mission and build interest in contributing to free knowledge projects.
How you can get involved
Whether you're a free culture movement veteran, a newcomer interested in participating for the first time, or simply curious about our mission and programs, it's easy to get involved. You can make a huge difference.
- Become a member: Becoming a member is one of the easiest ways to support our mission. Members influence the direction of Wikimedia DC and help provide valuable support. Learn more about our membership options »
- Follow us online: Be sure to keep up-to-date on Wikimedia DC happenings by following us on Facebook and Twitter and by reading our blog.
- Attend a local event: See our calendar of upcoming events »
- Apply for a grant: Wikimedia DC provides small grants to individuals, community groups, and nonprofit organizations to fund activities that align with our mission. Learn more about our grants program »
- Volunteer your time: Your help can make a difference in our campaign to support free knowledge. Learn more about volunteering »
- Donate: Your contribution will help provide critical funding for our educational and outreach programs. Learn more about donation options »