User:Econterms/Possible statistics edit-a-thon
Can collaborate with some mix of Statistics Without Borders, Statistics2013, the International Year of Statistics, ASA (American Statistical Assocation), and [http://washstat.org/ WSS (Washington Statistical Society). Peter Meyer and Justin Fisher can run it.
- training for newbies
- tour or talk? some activity. Description of WikiData would be good. Anything User:Ram-Man can tell us about how he uploaded Census data for 2000 would be good. Perhaps Justin can describe his experience teaching survey stats in North Korea. (No kidding.)
- Adding/updating particular pages
- Statistics Without Borders (SWB)
- We can commit to create an article for the Washington Statistical Society -- it would be great to use that as a draw for its members. Historical info on the WSS: http://washstat.org/wsshist.html. Statipedia says it has 900 members, source unknown.
- American Statistical Association (any update appropriate?)
- Morris Hansen article could refer to Hansen Lecture
Location and timing
- The downtown DC main public library, the MLK library is convenient for hosts Peter and Justin. There are several rooms downstairs that are big enough and quiet/private enough -- A5, A9, A10, and perhaps others. This is our intended location. James knows how to reserve it. http://www.dclibrary.org/node/32825. One contact person is Patrick Timony, who has been 100% friendly but is not in charge of the space, I think
- Sun Dec 8 2013 and Sun Dec 15 2013 look like good dates. Date should be in calendar 2013 because 2013 is an internationally designated Year of Statistics.
- Someone needs to confirm: (1) that we can have good net access there; (2) that we can have refreshments there; (3) that for presentations we can arrange to have tables, a data projector, and a screen
- Would like to have short presentations on (a) WikiData ; (b) Justin's trip to North Korea to teach at Pyongyang Summer Institute (?!)
- Peter to reach out to Ed Summers regarding Wikidata
- (Other possible locations: Tenleytown library; wiki-DC conference room; a room at a coffee shop/restaurant. Or at WSS or ASA in Alexandria. Let's put these alternatives on ice the MLK library is looking good.)
Other background and issues
- Background: Ah! Some people wrote: How to run an edit-a-thon
- we anticipate that wiki-DC can sponsor some refreshments and materials.
- how do we get the wireless equipment and make it work?
- Justin can broadcast to Statistics Without Borders (700 people, mostly not local).
- Justin can reach out to WSS (perhaps 900 members)
- Statistics2013/ASA contact info: they may help us identify interested people: http://www.amstat.org/newsroom/pressreleases/ASA_Statistics2013_Launch.pdf (Justin can follow up?)
- Peter can (through Mike Messner) broadcast to Statipedians (~100, mostly local).
- Peter can reach out through Abhijit to Data Science Meetup or R meetup, which are mostly local
- Peter can email Neil Tillman at Census who was interested in editing Wikipedia from there
- Peter advertise on Wikipedia:WikiProject Statistics ; also write Owen Martin from Wikimania